Welcome to my blog! If you want to have fun while learning some helpful facts and tips about living a healthier, more nutritious lifestyle, you've come to the right blog! :)

Monday, July 25, 2011

Another One of Kamie's Tips:


This tip is more a matter of opinion than fact, but I must say that I hesitate to recommend the new MyPlate image and accompanying resources that the government is pushing now.  I feel this way for several reasons:
  1. The image gives the impression that you should FILL your plate with food.  NOT SO!  More than likely, if you eat an entire plate full of food for every meal, you will be significantly overeating.  Don't get confused about portion sizes.
  2. I'm slightly uncomfortable with the size of the different food categories on the plate.  In reality, the portion sizes are not quite so...geometrical.  I assume it was convenient to design it that way so they could all fit on the plate, but the grains portion and the vegetable portion probably aren't exactly the same in reality...
  3. I feel much more satisfied with the good old MyPyramid, and probably even more satisfied with the Food Pyramid we are all familiar with from gradeschool.


If the new MyPlate is helpful for you, by all means use it :)  I'm not quite ready to move on to using it as a teaching tool yet. 

Pictures from Wikipedia. Other sources: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/

2 comments:

  1. Define "MyPlate."

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's what the government now uses as a nutrition tool instead of "MyPyramid."

    ReplyDelete