Welcome to my blog! If you want to have fun while learning some helpful facts and tips about living a healthier, more nutritious lifestyle, you've come to the right blog! :)

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Kamie's Tip of the Week:

Can I really have a healthy lunch with my busy schedule? And what about eating something that I don't get sick of eating (I mean we all get tired of PB&Js after awhile)? The answer is yes, you can have a healthy lunch that you enjoy, even if you're pressed for time. I know the temptation to eat that processed, frozen meal that takes 3 minutes to microwave is strong, but I promise you can overcome that temptation. Especially when you think about all the sodium and fat in processed food that you can easily cut out of your diet. The key is to make a batch of something yummy the night before, something that you can throw in some tupperware and savor at lunch time. Here's the recipe I've been enjoying this week: Chicken Salad Sandwiches

Ingredients:
  • 2 large lean chicken breasts
  • 1 and 1/2 cup sliced red grapes
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 1/4 cup chopped green onion
  • 2 Tbsp light ranch dressing
  • 2/3 cup light mayo or miracle whip
  • Whole grain bread
Directions:
  1. Boil chicken until fully cooked: Drain
  2. Shred chicken into small strips
  3. Add grapes, celery, and green onion and mix
  4. Add mayo and dressing (you may prefer more or less than I suggest in this recipe) and stir
  5. Add about 2/3 cup of the chicken salad to the whole grain bread to make a sandwich
Makes about 20 sandwiches.

The great thing about this recipe is that you can't even tell that you've used light dressing! It is low in fat and sodium, and high in protein (meaning you will stay fuller longer). It tastes so good that you won't get sick of it! And it is really easy to make :)

If you make a couple of different recipes each week and alternate what you eat every day, you can have much healthier lunches that you actually ENJOY, don't get sick of, AND can stop eating all of that processed junk. It's working great for me so far. I hope it works for you too :)

-Kamie

No comments:

Post a Comment